August has arrived – and caught us by surprise, as usual!
It’s the same every year.
We’ve been keeping our heads down, working, and suddenly the summer is half over before we know it!
This is the height of the growing season and the fields are bursting with abundance.
There is an abundance of garlic as well – drying in the greenhouse and in the barn …
And an abundance of weeds. Hopefully there’s an abundance of winter cabbage under there too!
What’s in the box?
Onions, eggplant, mini romaine lettuce, bok choy, green beans, cherry tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, garlic.
Extras – zucchini, kohlrabi, garlic scapes.
- How about a real onion this week instead of green onions! We picked our first bed of onions today, an heirloom variety (that means they have been around a long time) of Spanish onion – so they are on the milder & sweeter side.
- We don’t often put eggplant in the CSA box. In fact I’m not sure we have ever included it! This is because eggplant is not a very popular vegetable – many people never eat it. We would hate to include it and have it go uneaten and to waste. So we usually have it available on our extras table for those who enjoy it. But we’re changing things up this week and including eggplant in the box. We would encourage everyone to try it – you just might discover how great eggplant is! (cookwithwhatyouhave.com has lots of useful information about eggplant & 25 recipes to start you off!)
- Salad greens this week will be mini-romaine lettuce and bok choy. (Bok choy is not a fan of the hot weather we’ve had lately so it has not formed perfectly – but it tastes great!)
- Green beans and tomatoes – cherry & large beefsteaks are also in the box.
- We will be including a bulb of garlic in the box every week now. Remember that it is still fresh and not completely dried yet. Once you break the bulb open, use it quickly. Or leave it to dry – room temperature in a spot with good air circulation.
- Many of our CSA members are saying they have had enough zucchini, kohlrabi and garlic scapes. But they will be available as extras for those who still want them.