What’s in the box?
Carrots, green peppers, onions, tomatoes & cherry tomatoes, zucchini, fresh garlic, green beans.
- Carrots don’t often make an appearance in our CSA shares but enjoy them this week! They are small, tender, sweet, & delicious!
- Peppers are certainly one of my favourites! We could wait until they turn colour – we’re anticipating red, orange, yellow & purple (and even a few chocolate coloured ones!) – but why not enjoy them now while they are still green? Don’t worry, the peppers are plentiful on the plants so there will be lots of coloured ones too, in a few weeks.
- Returning CSA members were excited to see the onions last week. They taste soooo good! (It’s hard to beat an onion & tomato sandwich!)
- We are picking more large beefsteak tomatoes now – red ones, as well as orange & pink. The cherry tomatoes are also ripening well. Find both sizes of tomatoes in the box this week.
- Our zucchini plants are truly amazing. After all their struggles with insects earlier, they have come back and are pumping out the fruit. Now the diseases are showing up – mildew especially, which is common in hot & humid weather – but still they produce.
Our 2nd zucchini planting is kicking in and we harvested a large amount from this small patch today as well. Plus, we have recently seeded a 3rd time. We expect these to begin producing by the middle of September. So there should be zucchini for awhile!
- The barn smells deliciously like garlic. That’s because we have racks & racks of fresh garlic drying. The crop is good and we’re still harvesting, so you can expect a garlic bulb in your box each week now.
- Green beans complete this week’s CSA box.
I ate my 1st blackberry today and it was amazing! Expect to see blackberries in your box in a couple of weeks!
August 6, 2019 at 9:36 am
Thanks, Ron. What a banquet of goodies!. H