The season is coming to an end.
The orchards are empty – all the trees are picked.
Many of the vegetables fields are empty too.
Our last workers are leaving this week – one going home to Mexico, and one going to work at a greenhouse operation for a few months.
Our CSA program is wrapping up – only 1 more week after this one.
But the season is not completely finished.
While the orchards are empty, the cold storage is full of pears to be packed.
We are still picking some vegetables – tomatoes (mostly just some small cherries), eggplant (though the plants are going downhill fast), kale (still going strong), peppers (both sweet & hot continue to slowly ripen), and maybe some lettuce (here’s hoping the last planting will mature in time & still taste good). But our ambition & enthusiasm for harvesting is fading as fast (or faster) than the plants.
The squash & pumpkins are picked, but mostly still curing out in the fields & waiting to be hauled into the barn.
We washed the last of the gourds today – it’s time for fall decorating! Our market displays are very colourful this time of the year.
Although the CSA is finishing, but the farmers’ markets continue – one closes after Thanksgiving & the other goes right until the end of October.
Our days begin a little later now as the sun is slower to rise in the morning. It sure was beautiful this morning!
What’s in the box?
Squash, tomatoes, sweet peppers, garlic, kale, Bartlett pears.
extras – hot peppers.
- The first taste of squash will be in your box this week. Next week’s newsletter will have pictures & descriptions of the many kinds we grow. Some will be familiar & others are less common.
- The cooler weather on the weekend immediately slowed down the ripening of the tomatoes & peppers. Enjoy them, as they are coming to an end.
- Another garlic bulb is part of your share this week. We have all the garlic trimmed & cleaned. Now we have to count out enough for planting & then we can see if there will be more for CSA next week or not?
- Kale is one crop that likes the cooler fall weather. It gets sweeter as the weather gets colder!
- Can you guess that there is an abundance of Bartlett pears this year! Your box will include another basket this week. They will be greener & will last longer – especially if stored in the fridge.
- A selection of hot peppers will again be available for those who enjoy them.
Here are a few pictures of last week’s CSA pick-up …
Only 1 more week left for CSA 2015!