The rain on the weekend was very welcome!
Things were quite dry on our farm, and the trees & vegetables were looking a bit weary after the heat of the previous weeks. However, 2 days of rain perked them up & freshened up the entire farm (including weeds).
But it certainly looks like fall here.
Many of our tomatoes – especially the heirlooms – are brown & dying back. Other, like these cherry tomatoes are growing wild & unruly and still pumping out the fruit.
There is only 1 row of peaches yet to be harvested.
Some years when it is cool, these later peaches have little colour, and a dry texture. This season thanks to all that warmth we have had, they are colourful & flavourful – sweet & juicy!
The Bosc pears are still on the trees & will be picked this week.
A new planting of kale ready to be cut.
What’s in the box?
Green beans, cabbage, sweet peppers, tomatoes, Bartlett pears, Seckel pears.
Extras – peaches, hot peppers.
- A late summer planting has produced a bounty of beautiful green beans. We had some at dinner today & they taste wonderful!
- The cabbage that looked so good the other week is being eaten rapidly by … ? Good thing we planted lots – there will be enough for our CSA boxes this week!
It may be the light green, tender, early cabbage that we had a few weeks ago, or the darker green, more robust late cabbage. Then there are some “conehead” cabbages – something new for us this season – that are round at the bottom & pointy on top.
- Sweet peppers & tomatoes continue to be a part of your share, though perhaps in smaller quantities.
- It’s fall – pear season! This week there will again be 2 kinds of pears – Bartletts & the little Seckel “lunchbox” pears. A reminder again that pears can change from almost ripe to overripe very quickly. Store them in the fridge. One way to use very ripe pears is to make pear sauce – just like applesauce, but made with pears! Peel, chop, cook, add some sugar & mush them up. It’s easy & delicious!
- An extra this week – peaches. There will be some #2 grade peaches available for those who want that final taste of summer!
After this week, there will be 2 more weeks in our CSA program for 2015!
Here’s what to expect in your box these final 2 weeks – garlic, pears, squash, sweet peppers, tomatoes, kale …