Wasn’t it just a few weeks ago that our CSA boxes were green – just green – and shareholders were wondering when something besides green would appear?
Things have been much more colourful lately & this week is no exception. There is colour bursting from every fruit & vegetable that we are harvesting now – colour & flavour!
heirloom tomatoes …
sweet peppers …
mini sweet peppers – something new we are trying. (We just grew a few so they will be available at our farmers’ markets only.)
some of the different eggplant we are growing …
What’s in the box?
Peppers, tomatoes, beans, onions, eggplant, peaches, pears.
- Our sweet peppers are beginning to be ready for harvesting, so there will just be a single pepper in your box this week. Hopefully the numbers will increase.
- Tomatoes have certainly increased. The weekend warmth meant a very large pick today – field tomatoes, heirlooms of every size & colour, and lots of cherries too. This is the week to feast on tomatoes!
- The beans are slowing down but you will find some beans included in your share again – onions too!
- The pictures above show the vast array of eggplant that we are growing this season. Eggplant will be available for those who want it.
- Peaches are plentiful, colourful & flavourful! Enjoy them because the season is short. Another few weeks & they will be gone!
- The first pears of the season are part of your share this week. Harvest Queen is their regal name, a rather grand name for such a small pear. They are already sweet & delicious even though green. Eat them now while they are still a bit crunchy.
There is sadness on our farm today. We said good bye to our Meesha this afternoon. She took ill on the weekend & it became apparent that she would not recover & return to health. Amy got her as a puppy and we all have enjoyed her for almost 13 years.
Meesha was always smiling & happy to be with us!
She always found joy in the cold & snow!
I especially enjoyed our daily walk around the farm.
We will miss you Meesha!
August 17, 2015 at 9:14 pm
We are so sorry to hear about Meesha!! What a great dog she was. Marshall will especially miss our weekly encounters with her.
Keeping you in our thoughts!
August 17, 2015 at 10:16 pm
Sorry to hear about Meesha. She was a beautiful dog
August 17, 2015 at 11:26 pm
I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of your pet.
August 18, 2015 at 9:13 am
I’m so sorry to hear about Meesha! Thinking of you!
August 18, 2015 at 12:49 pm
so sorry for your loss of your beloved dog, I know he will be missed by all, including Oliver
August 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Thanks for the free pea shoots this week! Here’s the recipe I mentioned. It doesn’t even need the Creme Fraiche.
Pea Shoot and Smoked Bacon Soup
3 Slices Smoked Bacon
1 Medium Potato
1 tbsp Olive Oil
50g Pea Shoots (1 Pack)
1 pint Chicken Stock
1 tbsp Crème Fraiche
Finely chop the onion and fry in 1tbsp olive oil in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to the saucepan. Fry for 5 minutes until starting to brown. Peel the potato and chop into a 1cm square dice. Add the potato and the chicken stock to the saucepan. Boil for 10 minutes until the potato is soft. Place the contents of the sauce pan into a blender, and blitz until smooth. Then add the pea shoots and blend until a smooth, bright green, thick soup consistency is reached. Return to the pan and reheat. Serve in bowls with a swirl of crème fraiche. Delicious with warm soda bread smothered in butter.