Wasn’t it just a few weeks ago that our CSA boxes were green – just green – and shareholders were wondering when something besides green would appear?
Things have been much more colourful lately & this week is no exception. There is colour bursting from every fruit & vegetable that we are harvesting now – colour & flavour!
heirloom tomatoes …
sweet peppers …
mini sweet peppers – something new we are trying. (We just grew a few so they will be available at our farmers’ markets only.)
some of the different eggplant we are growing …
What’s in the box?
Peppers, tomatoes, beans, onions, eggplant, peaches, pears.
- Our sweet peppers are beginning to be ready for harvesting, so there will just be a single pepper in your box this week. Hopefully the numbers will increase.
- Tomatoes have certainly increased. The weekend warmth meant a very large pick today – field tomatoes, heirlooms of every size & colour, and lots of cherries too. This is the week to feast on tomatoes!
- The beans are slowing down but you will find some beans included in your share again – onions too!
- The pictures above show the vast array of eggplant that we are growing this season. Eggplant will be available for those who want it.
- Peaches are plentiful, colourful & flavourful! Enjoy them because the season is short. Another few weeks & they will be gone!
- The first pears of the season are part of your share this week. Harvest Queen is their regal name, a rather grand name for such a small pear. They are already sweet & delicious even though green. Eat them now while they are still a bit crunchy.
There is sadness on our farm today. We said good bye to our Meesha this afternoon. She took ill on the weekend & it became apparent that she would not recover & return to health. Amy got her as a puppy and we all have enjoyed her for almost 13 years.
Meesha was always smiling & happy to be with us!
She always found joy in the cold & snow!
I especially enjoyed our daily walk around the farm.
We will miss you Meesha!