It’s blackberry season & we’re pretty excited about it!
The past 2 years we have had almost no blackberries due to the cold winters. This year finally, we have a good crop. We picked a few last week, and this week they are coming on strong.
Blackberries, as the name suggests are black. They are also large, shiny & delicious!
Picked properly they are a little sweet & a little tart. If they aren’t quite ripe, they are sour. Too ripe and they are soft & mushy, but incredibly sweet. We try to pick them as ripe as possible, but while still firm. Unlike raspberries, blackberries are not hollow, but have a centre core which is soft & edible.
The only way to eat a blackberry is to pop the whole thing in your mouth. Try to take a small bite, and you are covered in black, staining juice. Blackberries are best eaten fresh, but also make great jam, juice, sauce, ice cream …
Blackberry plants are long canes. Ours are thornless but many kinds including the wild ones, have thorns. We grow the canes on wires similar to grapes.
Row 8 is before pruning & tying in spring, and row 9 has been pruned & tied to the wires.
This time of year, blackberries are a sight!
We have been watering the blackberries regularly & it seems to be paying off. Most of the plants are looking healthy & green.
We pick every other day – 3 times each week from early August until mid September most years.
What’s in the box?
Blackberries, lettuce, garlic, zucchini, tomatoes, onions.
extras – kohlrabi.
- Find the first taste of blackberries in your share this week.
- A new planting of lettuce is ready & tasting good.
- How was the fresh garlic last week? There will be a bulb in your box each week now so don’t save it – eat & enjoy!
- Zucchini, tomatoes & onions – That’s a great salad right there. Add the lettuce & it’s even better!
- Kohlrabi will be available for those who want it. Kohlrabi has become our go-to meal this summer. We make noodles with our spiralizer & saute them in butter or olive oil with fresh garlic & onions. Then we add tomatoes or tomato sauce & spices. It’s quick & easy & delicious!
Some of the beautiful lettuces in your box this week.