CSA 2021 is now full. We are not accepting any more applications.
CSA (community supported agriculture) 2021
Do you want to know where your food comes from … who grew it … & how it was grown?
Are you into eating fresh vegetables?
Do you value the taste of quality food?
If you answered yes to these questions then Thiessen Farms CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) might be a good fit for you!
Here’s how it works …
Purchase a share of the upcoming harvest now. Then each week during the growing season, come to our farm and receive a box of fresh produce, picked just for you. Enjoy delicious, just harvested, healthy, local food! Check out the farm & see the crops growing. Know that you are supporting a local family farm.
We benefit by knowing that our crops are already sold. We know how much to grow, and have the money in hand to pay for the seeds & other springtime expenses. We get to know the people who eat our food!
Together we share both the rewards & risks of farming. Growing conditions (especially weather) have a large impact on the variety, amount & quality of the vegetables in our CSA boxes each week.
How Thiessen Farms CSA will operate …
- Our CSA will run for 18 weeks beginning in late May or early June (this will be weather dependant).
- Half share price – $415 ($23.05/week)
- Full share price – $780 ($43.33/week)
- Pick up days will be Tuesdays, Thursdays
& Fridays from 3:00 – 6:00 pm
- A deposit of $150 now will reserve your share and your preferred pick up day.
- The balance is due April 1.
- We accept payment by e transfer or cheque.
How big is a share?
- A half-share would be suitable for 2 – 4 people.
- Full shares usually supply enough vegetables for a family of 4 – 6.
- Each week receive a box with 5-10 different vegetables depending on the season.
- Produce can be picked up at our farm in Jordan Station on your chosen pick up day.
- When you fill out the application please choose which day you would prefer – Tuesday, Thursday
- CSA pick-up is also available at our farmers’ market in Downtown Georgetown (Saturday mornings).
What kinds of produce will my share contain?
Here is what we grow …
- Beans, beets, broccoli, cabbage, Chinese cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, edamame, eggplant, fennel, garlic, various greens, herbs, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, onions, pak choy, sweet & hot peppers, radicchio, radishes, shoots, snow peas, spinach, summer turnips, Swiss chard, tomatoes, winter squash and zucchini.
- Each Monday a CSA newsletter is posted online at http://www.thiessenfarms.com listing the contents of the box that week, suggestions & recipes for using the vegetables, along with a farm update including pictures.
- Included with your CSA membership is a free subscription to http://www.cookwithwhatyouhave.com which offers a collection of 1000+ recipes organized by vegetable and created using CSA produce, along with cooking tips, pantry stocking suggestions, and weekly ideas & links to seasonally relevant dishes, preserving tips, & quick methods to help people make the most of each CSA share.
What about when we go on vacation?
- Your share will be ready for you each week – vegetables don’t stop ripening for vacations! If you will be away or cannot pick up your share, have a family member, friend or neighbour pick up your box and enjoy it. Please let us know if nobody will be picking up your box. We do not carry over your box until the next week.
- You are also welcome to switch pick up days – call or email by any Monday to change your pick up day for that week.
Is our farm organic?
- Our farm is not certified organic. However the vegetables are usually grown pesticide free. Farming practices like growing cover crops, applying compost & manure, and mulching, continuously improve our soil – better soil means healthier (and better tasting) crops with less insect & disease pressures.
If you have any questions, contact us – 905-562-4372 (Lorie), 905-931-5215 (Ron)
or email email@example.com and ask for an application.
Applications are also available on this site.